© Emicristea (Help)
Saint Nicholas Church is a Romanian Orthodox church in Brasov, dominating the historic district of Schei. The church was established in 1292 (an wooden church) and is the oldest orthodox church of Brasov city.
It was built in a mix of the Byzantine, Baroque and Gothic styles. Initially built in gothic style, it was redon in Baroque style. The frescoes was painted by the murlaist Misu Popp (1827-1892). © Emicristea (Help)
The church was mentioned in a Papal bull issued in 1399 by Pope Boniface IX. Starting in 1495, the church was rebuilt in stone by the locals, with help from Vlad Călugărul and Neagoe Basarab (after 1512)), Voivods (Prince) of Wallachia.
St. Nicholas Church is situated at the United Square (Piata Unirii), which can be found in the old Romanian... [ Read more...