I thought I would share with you a formula that I have come up with that may help some who are struggling with keywording. When I first started with Dreamstime I found keywording to be quite a chore and seemed to take forever. But I then realized what I was doing wrong. I had no order to my keywording of my photographs, I was just typing in words as they came into my head and often ended up typing in the same word three times by the time I had finished. Wow, what a waste of time and brain space! So over time I have developed my own formula for keywording which certainly works for me and has cut down my keywording time substantially. So, here is my formula. To make it easier to illustrate, I will use an example of a photograph of a MATURE MAN SITTING ALONE ON THE BEACH.
1. SIMPLE PLAIN FACT WORDS: First I look at my main subject and only use very simple plain fact words, no descriptive words here at all people, just the main points of the subject. Like -MAN, MALE, PERSON, TOURIST
2. DESCRIPTIVE WORDS: Then I describe the subject of my photograph,in this case the man sitting on the beach. Such as: SENIOR, MATURE, MIDDLE-AGED, CAUCASIAN, ITALIAN, OLD, OLDER, HANDSOME, ATTRACTIVE, HAPPY, STYLISH, MODERN, TALL, SHORT, AUSTRALIAN, FIT, HEALTHY, etc.
3. ACTION WORDS. These words describe what your subject is DOING in the photograph, such as: SITTING, RELAXING, ENJOYING, SMILING, LAUGHING, HAVING, FUN, LAZY, RESTING, DREAMING, WATCHING, HOLIDAYING, VACATION, ALONE, etc.
4. LOCATION WORDS: Where is your subject? These are the words that DESCRIBE the LOCATION or scene of the subject. In this case: SANDY, EMPTY, BEACH, SEASIDE, OCEAN, OUTDOORS, NATURE, SHORE, WAVES, SURF, SAND, SAND, SCENIC, LANDSCAPE, SEASCAPE, TROPICS, TROPICAL, ISLAND, SUMMER, DAY, OUTSIDE, PERFECT, CLEAR, BLUE, SKY, PUFFY, CLOUDS, AUSTRALIA, etc
5. MOOD & COLOR WORDS: Now look at your photo for your mood and colors in the WHOLE shot. Such as: PEACE, PEACEFUL, TRANQUIL, TRANQUILITY, SOLITUDE, DREAMY, LONELY, SAD, THOUGHTFUL, BEAUTIFUL, NATURAL, BEAUTY, LONELINESS, etc.
6. FINALLY, PRACTICAL USE AND COLOR WORDS. By this I mean if the photograph or illustatration could have an abstract , conceptual,business or background use. So use words such as: TRAVEL, ABSTRACT, COLOR, COLORS, BACKGROUND, RELIGION, TOURISM, BLUE, WHITE, GREEN, GREY, BRIGHT, LIGHT, MOOD, ACTIVITY, etc
When I use this formula, I find that I do my keywording in a fraction of the time it was taking me at the beginning and I don't get sidetracked or repeat words. It takes a bit of practise and discipline to maintain this formula and order but well worth it, in my humble opinion.
Now if someone doing a search and using a combination of words such as 'MAN SITTING ALONE ON BEACH' or 'SOLITUDE', or 'SAD MAN ALONE' or 'MATURE MAN ON HOLIDAY' or SENIOR MAN ON TROPICAL ISLAND' or 'DREAMY VACATION' I have all those words covered withouht having to strain my brain by thinking what people will search for to find my image. I have covered all areas by doing an order of 1.SIMPLE SUBJECT FACTS. 2.DESCRIPTIVE WORDS OF MAIN SUBJECT. 3.ACTIVE WORDS (What subject is doing). 4.LOCATION WORDS (where is the subject). 5.MOOD & COLOR WORDS. 6. PRACTICAL USE WORDS.
Well, I hope this blog helps someone out, as I know keywording was a real nightmare and a time consumer for me but now using this formula, I am finding it not only faster and easier but also more successful, as I seem to cover more words that really do apply to this image, instead of using words that don't even relate to the image in any way.