A strange subject for a stock photography website you may think, and you'd probably be right. But anyway, I decided to combine this garden project with an opportunity to create some different stock photos.
...................................I dug a hole! This is ~ 2.5m x 1.8m, with a depth of ~ 60cm in the middle section to ensure that there is always some part of the pond that is not frozen in Winter. The far end is ~ 35cm deep, with a shallow area at the front at around 15cm deep. It's important to remove as many of the stones as possible to prevent perforating the liner when filled with water.
Next, line the pond with plenty of sand or old carpet - I used double thickness carpet underlay, followed by the butyl rubber liner itself.
Then fill with water, and allow the liner to fit into the corners of the hole.
Now comes a tricky bit - trim the excess liner leaving an overlap of ~ 30-cm on the grass. Cut out the turf in a ring around the pond, leaving ~ 5cm around the edges. Lay the excess liner over the edge and into the trench left by the turf and recover. Mine loked like this at this stage, yours may well look better! :
So now that just leaves the plants and finishing touches. Use oxygenating plants, as well as plants to give surface cover. A rocky area creates a shallow part for wildlife to bathe in. This is how mine looked after I'd added the plants and stones:
A bit sparse, but bear in mind that just 3 days before this, the whole area was a lawn!
So now I'll just sit back and wait for the plants to take hold and the wildlife to move in.....there might just be a few more photos of this in the future. (Hey, I might even get a duck....we all know how Dreamstime needs some more duck pictures!)