Taxes from selling photos

posted on 27th of october, 2011

Hello all.Please,can you clarify this for me?I live in Romania and i sell photos on different websites.My question is:I must pay taxes in my country for my incomes from microstock even if on some agencyes i signed tax forms?Please tell me because i dont't find this information anywhere.Thank you very much.

Comments (6)

Posted by Mikenot on January 30, 2012
As far as Australia goes, ANY income has to be declared .....but you can also claim deductions (for repairs/capital expenditure/etc) against that income. If you put a photo up for sale on a microstock website, then it's certainly not a hobby
Posted by Silent47 on October 28, 2011
I will look into it.Thank you all for answers
Posted by Solidsdman on October 27, 2011
It only makes a difference when considering deductions if your income is from a hobby. See this from the US Internal Revenue Service: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=169490,00.html
Posted by Solidsdman on October 27, 2011
See the Tax Center in the Management area. Romania has a 10% tax treaty with the US, so your US withholding tax will be reduced by 10%. You still need to pay your regular Romanian income tax on the money you earn from Dreamstime. And it does not make any difference if your earned income is from a hobby or regular job. It's still earned income.
Posted by Silent47 on October 27, 2011
I think that hunger (for money) exists everywhere. The hobby vs business test depends on a lot of things but even if that applies in Romania, you should really prepare your paperwork as if it is treated as income and leave it up to your account to decide whether it can be treated as a hobby. Good luck with it :)
Thank you very much:)I will do that
Posted by Silent47 on October 27, 2011
The tax forms that you signed are so that the agents can withdraw a percentage of tax according to the treaty between Romania and the US (if any) from the sales you make to US buyers only. If you do need to pay tax in your country then you may be able to claim the tax you paid on your US sales back as a tax credit. You need to check with your tax accountant or your tax department. Also, Im not sure what the tax laws are like in Romania, but if theyre similar to ours (Australian tax laws), then you may not have to pay tax at all if what youre doing is considered a hobby. Again, you should contact your accountant.

Thank you Sunnymars for the answer and i don't think Australia is like Romania.Here is a ''hunger for money'' so i guess is not considered hobby:)I hope only that you are right

Comments (6)

This article has been read 2178 times. 1 readers have found this article useful.
Photo credits: Silent 47 Images.

About me

Europe, RO

October (1)
September (1)
July (1)

Stock Photography that BLOGS!

Interact, make friends, share tips and techniques, have fun. Dreamstime wants your ideas and thoughts whether you are a photographer, designer or regular user. Create a blog to tell your story, promote favorite images and photographers, post tutorials or simply exchange opinions with your with fellow dreamstimers.

Don't forget words and pictures go great together so make sure you choose some Dreamstime favorite pics to brighten your article. For inspiration, check out the hottest or the most useful blogs on the left.

Create a blog to tell your story, promote favorite stock images and photographers

Create your blog

My favorite articles


More favorite articles

Related image searches

taxes paying money legal incomes

Money related stock images