I've been a member of DT since 2005.
(My best selling image of all times - Istanbul old city)
Over the years I have tried numerous approaches to stock photography.
I've tried shooting models. I've tried food photography, pet photography and even baby photography.
Never fully succeeded and never had a lot of sales.
What worked for me fairly well from the beginning has been travel and landscape photography.
Since I live in the Middle East, shooting in Israel has been easy for me.
This country attracts a lot of attention as it's a country full of contrasting sides.
Time of intense political tension, beautiful and varied areas (in a pretty small area), modern cities and ancient history, secular night life and holy places for all major religions. So, I gradually started my Holy land Series stock collection, documenting various scenes mostly panoramic. At first, sales have been slow, but in recent months I see an increased interest and sales from these photos.
I have always wished that these scenes will become public, now thanks to DT buyers I see it come true. In the past 2 days only I have sold over 20 images from this series.
It's a great feeling and a dream come true.
So, if you recognize a niche not covered by the 42 million images and thousands of extremely talented photographers on DT, pursue your dream. Here are my suggestions to you:
1. It may take time, but as you accumulate your stock images, someone will notice your work.
Don't give up!
2. Shoot subjects you enjoy, I love traveling, I love open landscapes and ancient ruins with strong colors (I use VSCO 04 plug ins to boost my Fuji X100 images' color).
3. Use a lot of (natural) light. DT editors hate contrasted images and usually won't approve them.
4. look for dramatic skies, it always help.
5. Even a short weekend walk with the kids can result in selling stock images. Always carry your camera
6. Research on DT for images from your planned destination, then filter "Most Sales" first, it will help you avoid common angles and bring a fresh view of famous destination
Thanks for all the buyers, you make my dream (stime) come true!